Sunday 18 October 2009

Vegetable Stir-Fry

I originally wanted to incorporate this in a dish, but extenuating circumstances meant that I was going to be cooking with a group, and that my cooking duties would be overtaken by my flatmate's fiancee. Since she incorporated the vegetables into her own stir-fry, which does not exclusively use Basics ingredients, I am unable to publish the recipe for today. However, it has been some time since I last posted on this blog, so I will give a description of the item, which is what you're looking for anyway.

Towards the end of my university, my flatmate found preparing the obligatory vegetable stir-fry for dinner extremely cumbersome, until he discovered that Sainsbury's has a range of pre-washed and cut vegetables which are ready to cook. He eventually moved down to the Basics version when he realised that he could get much more vegetables for the same price and with little degradation in quality.


Generally speaking, the Sainsbury's Basics vegetable range are worth the money, especially if the vegetables are to be cooked, instead of prepared raw in say, a salad. EU regulations require that the regular range of vegetables are Class I, which basically mean they have no visual defects, which allows the Basics range to be Class II. I am not sure how the quality of those Basics vegetables with flavour would differ compared to their regular counterparts, eg. tomatoes. Also note that since these are Class II vegetables, not much attention would be given to their presentation, so they might be processed with less care, in particular, as noted earlier, the mushrooms would not have the dirt scrubbed as thoroughly from the bottom of their stalks.

For stuff like vegetable stir-fry and other light-tasting vegetables like peppers or aubergines though, you should do okay.

















DescriptionPrice per UnitNo. of servingsTrade-up PremiumTrade-up Benefits
Vegetable Stir Fry£1.00650g+£0.09 for 350gNot known but probably not much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...