Thursday 22 October 2009

Aubergine with Mince

I didn't always like aubergines. Growing up, I could not get my head round the sticky texture when used in stir-fries, as was commonly the case where I was. At some point in time however I did warm up to the idea and is now one of my favourite vegetables.

The Basics aubergines come in bags of two, with each aubergine nicely sized to feed one hungry person. As with other Basics vegetables, being Class II it might not look very pretty, but that would not matter anyway when it is diced up.


So today I'll use it in one of the aubergine dishes that I'm fond of. Start by dicing the aubergine, and rendering as much fat as possible from the mince.


Don't wipe off too much fat though, or you'll lose all the flavour that the aubergine could otherwise absorb. On hind sight, it might have also made sense to rub salt into the aubergine, to remove the bitterness found in aubergines. I guess this is what happens when you decide to improvise.
While the aubergine is cooking, find more ways to extract more fat from the mince.



Finally, add the mince back to the aubergine, and season with dark soy sauce.

Serve with Basics rice.


End result would have been good, if not for the mistakes I have noted for above. Given that this did not take too long to cook and the washing up was kept to a minimum, I am not entirely sure why I did not do this at university, though I guess at £0.82 per aubergine it was a pretty expensive vegetable.

















DescriptionPrice per UnitNo. of servingsTrade-up PremiumTrade-up Benefits
Aubergine£1.64 (£3.28 / kg)2+£0.36 (-£0.17 / kg)Not known but probably not much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...