Monday 26 October 2009

Toasted Salami Sandwiches

As a result of my earlier post for Bread and Butter Pudding, I have added an additional loaf of bread to our existing stash, and our kitchen is thus now overflowing with sliced bread. Some of my flatmates have expressed their annoyance at my escapade, and so to appease them, I've decided to have sandwiches for some of my meals. Dinner for tonight was two sandwiches.

I opted to toast the bread, since as it is, the bread slices are too dry for use. Toasting would make the slices more durable, and make them dry and crisp, rather than dry and soft, which would be less pleasant.

So on to the sandwich filling for today. This is the first time I've encountered both the Salami and Lettuce. The Salami comes in relatively thin slices, but still has full-bodied flavour which makes it suitable for use in sandwiches. That said, the regular version does not cost much more, and has higher meat content.

On the other hand, I heartily recommend the Basics lettuce. The exact variety of lettuce varies, but the quality is good. And if you are lucky like I was on the occasion I bought this, you would get Romaine lettuce, which would make it perfect for use in a poor man's Caesar salad.




I was actually so happy with the sandwiches that I made a couple more to bring to work tomorrow for lunch. This allows me to avoid having to spend at the canteen at work, and helps me deal with the excess bread problem we currently have.























DescriptionPrice per UnitNo. of servingsTrade-up PremiumTrade-up Benefits
Lettuce£0.491 head+£0.29Not much, especially if Basics lettuce is of premium variety
Salami£1.09150g+£0.14Slightly thicker slices, 136g vs 122g of pork per 100g of salami. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...