Thursday 10 September 2009

Choc Ices

Here in the UK, ice cream is relatively cheap. The major supermarkets here hold regular promotions on the premium ice-cream brands Haagen-Dazs and Ben & Jerry's, particularly towards the end of summer and in the middle of winter, where the 2 for £5 offers would compensate for the relatively sluggish demand.

But what is one to do when nobody's offering discounts? One of my flatmates resorted to buying Sainsbury's Basics Choc Ices to satisfy his cravings, and introduced me to it. I've mainly used this and its Tesco equivalent during my student days to tide me over slightly more depressing periods of university life, like academic deadlines. Probably because they reminded me of the Magnolia Eskimo Pies I had as a kid.

A few years on, and I've almost completely forgotten about this most affordable of comforts (at 6p a bar these things are a bargain!), until recently, when I was thinking about setting up this blog.
The ingredients, if memory serves, remain the same. I was surprised while researching for this post that the regular choc ices have exactly the same ingredients in the same proportions. I fail to see why despite this the regular ones taste better, so you have to trust me on this one. That said, the coconut oil would probably not do you much good.

Observe the thin chocolate coating and the anaemic-looking cold centre posing as vanilla ice-cream.





















DescriptionPrice per UnitNo. of servingsTrade-up PremiumTrade-up Benefits
Choc Ices£0.6010+£0.40Better product, choice between dark and milk chocolate coatings. Recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...