Sunday 29 November 2009

Kiev Katsu Kurry Spaghetti with Cheese

A while ago my friend saw my Kiev Katsu Kurry Don post, and recommended that the next time I try something similar that I add cheese. Finding that a little odd, I asked her where she got the idea from, and it turns out that she actually had Katsu Curry Udon with Cheese at a Japanese restaurant back home. I also remembered that the last time I was back I came across a dozen or so Japanese pasta restaurants, which feature interesting things on spaghetti or penne like cod with teriyaki, prawn tempura with a tomato sauce, miso-based beef stew and even deep-fried calamari with curry sauce. These two findings sufficiently piqued my interest to want to try this at home.
I have already covered mild cheddar cheese however, and I'm not keen on buying another block of it, or even a block of a different type of cheese, like mature cheddar or double gloucester, since being rather similar in the sense that they are all proper cheese it would probably not make for a very interesting article. What I'm going to use instead though are these cheese singles. I've seen my former flatmate use this as a cheap alternative to cheese, but have never tried this myself. More commonly known as processed cheese, this is probably more familiar to people coming from my home country, having grown up with the likes of Kraft Singles and Chesdale.

This was probably the worst cheese single I have come across. The slices are thin, and the smell is a bit on the artificial side. It also does not help when the actual cheese content is at 11%, which probably explains why this is not labelled as cheese singles. When one considers that the next more expensive option - the Sainsbury's Reduced Fat Cheese singles, contains 500% more cheese (60% of total ingredient makeup) at a less than 50% increase in price, you wonder if these cheese slices are worth the hassle. The regular Cheese singles don't contain palm oil as well, so for 25p more you avoid a potential health hazard.

For such a strong smell that the cheese single has, its taste is very faint, and its texture is almost non-existent, dissolving rapidly as one presses tongue against single.

Anyway, on to the recipe. Preparation is similar to the Kiev Katsu Kurry Don, except that a cheese single and herb mix is added to the sauce during preparation.





The cheese had no effect on the curry sauce at all. Personally, having tried this, I feel that Katsu Kurry would probably be better served with rice, as at least the rice can absorb the sauce.












DescriptionPrice per UnitNo. of servingsTrade-up PremiumTrade-up Benefits
(Cheese) Singles£0.5810+£0.25Higher cheese content, bigger singles. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...