Wednesday 5 August 2009

Peanut Butter Truffles

Recently a family friend of mine was in town, and my old man back home wanted him to take a delivery of 5kg worth of orange-flavoured chocolates. While I was at it, I thought that I should pick up a bar of Basics dark chocolate to experiment with. I seem to remember this fondly from my school days, as it offered a cheap form of chocolate comfort from the pains of university life.

However, I'm no chocolatier, so those of you who want an expert opinion should check out ZOMG Candy's review on it. Bear in mind that the chocolate shown in the picture looks different from the one I found, so there definitely was a switch in manufacturer. Compared to the one in the review, this one has a higher cocoa content (52% compared to 41%). All other notes in the review seem consistent though. The chocolate is made in Germany, if you care where your chocolate comes from.

But on with the article. I decided to make truffles, and take advantage of the leftover peanut butter I had from an earlier review. I chanced upon a recipe on Cooking for Engineers, and decided to go with this. In the process however, I forgot to scale back the amount of cream required, and ended up with a chocolate-cream ratio of 1:1 instead of 2:1. To compensate, I had to increase the amount of peanut butter such that the ratio of peanut butter and chocolate to cream went back to 2:1. No severe problems though, other than the truffles tasting a little less chocolatey and a little more peanutty than desired. Half of the truffles were coated with a chocolate shell, since I didn't have enough melted chocolate to go around.

Since I pretty much followed the recipe and don't want to duplicate the information there, I'll just be posting photos.

From this point onwards, things didn't go to plan.

Tempering more chocolate for the truffle shell.

Before the shell coating. The two teaspoons and bowl were to be used to help with the coating process.

Post-coating. The result is not very pretty.




















DescriptionPrice per UnitNo. of servingsTrade-up PremiumTrade-up Benefits
Dark/Milk/White Chocolate£0.27100g+£0.13 (£0.80 for 200g)Richer, better tasting chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...