Sunday 3 June 2012

Chicken Roll



One of the few things I have bought as we pack up over here is Sainsbury's Basics Chicken Roll. This was done as I was looking for something to use to finish up the Sainsbury's Basics sliced bread that I have in the freezer for a while now. Since I have tried the Basics corned beef and ham already, I thought of having chicken roll for a change.


The chicken roll consists of reformed chicken, which, according to this link, is chicken that has been finely chopped, cooked, compressed tightly, then bound together with milk proteins, which give the result its milky colour. There is a Sainsbury's own-brand version of the product, though if you would like to have chicken that has not been processed as much, Sainsbury's does have other products in its range (though not in the Basics range) that is simply, say, sliced roast chicken.

For all intents and purposes though, the Basics Chicken Roll is just chicken. I have used it in a sandwich and found it very palatable, and at 97p for 400g of cooked meat, is a cheap source of protein that does not have as strong a smell as ham.

There has to be more use for chicken roll other than sandwiches though. Unfortunately I couldn't think of any, and so I had to run down the chicken roll with nothing but sandwiches. Feel free to comment here with suggestions as to what I could have done aside from sticking it into bread, for the benefit of other readers.

DescriptionPrice per UnitNo. of servingsTrade-up PremiumTrade-up Benefits
Chicken Roll£0.9740, 400g+£0.18 for 10, 125g (!)Slightly thicker slices

3 comments:

  1. YOU SHOULD HAVE STUCK IT IN THE TRASH!!!

    Chicken Roll is made from Mechanically Separated Meat, which means they grind the bones up and pull whatever tendons they can find out, grind it up into a paste and blitz it.

    Marcus "Pierre White" Lim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marcus, how's your restaurant doing? I note with some amusement that a) in some regions, Mcdonald's Chicken McNuggets comes from MSM, b) strict EU and US FDA regulations state that there cannot be any bone content in MSM in light of the BSE crisis, and c) It's kind of what you do when you use the carcass of say, a roast chicken, to make stock anyway. =)

      Can you reply to my Facebook message btw? We have to meet up to discuss future ventures..

      Delete
  2. I eat this quite a lot. Meat is meat. It is a cheap source of protein. I tear it into little pieces and sprinkle it in salads. Or just eat it on its own as I'm not eating much bread these days.

    I like to think of reformed chicken as a chicken that has committed burglary and done his time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...