Sunday 10 April 2011

Salmon and Courgette Pasta

In the time that I have been running this little corner of the Internet I have been recommended by at least two blogs. I was browsing through one of them, Dulwich Munchies, one evening, for inspiration, during one of those times that I needed ideas. From what I can see, she also lives near a Sainsbury's and tries the recipes they publish on a regular basis. One in particular caught my eye - Salmon and Courgette Pasta .


I have not been eating very well for the past two weeks, and so I figured this would be an opportunity for me to start including vegetables in my diet again by trying a version of this made exclusively from Sainsbury's Basics items. £1.64 would buy you 3 oddly-shaped courgettes totalling 1kg in weight. That should be good for about six meals. Squ1rr3l, the author of Dulwich Munchies, followed the Sainsbury's recipe more or less to the letter, but I made two modifications. I skipped the creme fraiche as I prefer a lighter pasta, and I avoided boiling the courgette, as advised by the BBC Good Food guide, which suggested light sauteing to preserve flavour.

While the pasta is boiling in a pan, slice the courgette into thin slices and saute with oil, adding a little water halfway through.


Once that is done, toss everything together, including the salmon trimmings and lemon juice. Sprinkle with Basics black pepper.



This is by far the easiest recipe I've ever done on this blog, kudos to Sainsbury's and their Try Team for coming up with the recipe. The flavours also blend well together, the tanginess of the lemon, the saltiness of the salmon and the bite of the black pepper all contrasting against each other. The addition of creme fraiche would probably have smoothed things over, but I think you can make do without it.

DescriptionPrice per UnitNo. of servingsTrade-up PremiumTrade-up Benefits
Courgettes£1.641kg+£0.11 for 500gNone. Buy loose for £1.80/kg.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...