Thursday 28 January 2010

Bacon Cheese Toasties

Difficulties at work have made me reconsider publishing on a regular basis. There might even be the possibility that I give this up altogether. Since I still have a number of Basics items in my kitchen however, I thought it would be irresponsible if I were to consume them all without blogging about them.

An unexpected lull in work has allowed me to prepare lunch at home. I've been meaning to do this for quite a while, since I realised that I've never really gotten the chance to make grilled cheese and bacon sandwiches.

Take Sainsbury's Basics Cooking Bacon, and strip off all fat.

Grill in oven until mostly cooked.

So the new item for today is English muffins. The more astute among you might be able to point out that I am effectively reconstructing a Bacon McMuffin, itself a derivative of the Egg McMuffin, which attempted to mimic Eggs Benedict, one of Ray Kroc's favourite breakfast items. I have frozen these muffins because I wasn't certain when I would get round to doing this, if at all. They do keep very well though.

Once the bacon is cooked, slice the muffins into halves. Layer on the bacon, and then top with Basics cheese singles. Return to grill.

Take care not to leave in the oven for too long though, or the muffins will dry up.

You cannot really go wrong with cheese and bacon. That said, it might have helped if I were to include something that would make a more fluid topping. Melting the cheese slightly and adding a little Basics mustard and herb mix might have helped achieve the desired effect. Using real cheese would have been another possibility. Maybe next time.











DescriptionPrice per UnitNo. of servingsTrade-up PremiumTrade-up Benefits
English Muffins£0.596g+£0.08 for 4Not known

2 comments:

  1. Awesomeness! These look proper dirty but I want them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I went ahead and made these today and they were great. I used the "flat" bacon yielded from the cooking bacon pack, while reserving a bag of thick bacon chunks for another dish. I cheated a bit and used non basics muffins and cheese slices but they were only pence more expensive. All in all a good idea!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...